Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Homeschool?

At times we are asked why we decided to home school (pulling Sarah and Josh from public) and my number one response continues to be "because we enjoy them!" Yes, there are a lot of other reasons but enjoying them continues to be the biggest. Sadly, this is not true of many mothers I encounter. Of course they love their children, but enjoy them?! Are you supposed to? It seems the current cultural trend is "get these kids out of here so I can get on with my life!"

The Word of God seems to teach they are your life. . .

We were tickled to see a second garden - God grew corn and squash from last year's garden.
Getting the garden going and growing. . .
Another wonderful reason to homeschool is to have lunch with your kids! Paul makes an effort to join us at lunch several times a week and we try to make sure one time is at a park.
Sarah displays our silkworms. . .it is doubtful we will harvest much silk but it has been a great learning experience. Not just about silkworms and silk - but trees! Since the silkworm will only eat Mulberry leaves we learned a lot about trees in our neighborhood. . .no mulberries there!
Jael likes them too!
Sarah, Josh, and Jon get ready for take-off!
The three oldest had a neat opportunity to learn about and enjoy some flying!

What to do with the toddler while homeschooling? Well, I recommend a playpen. But, Jael loves her "cheerio" shelf.
When not into "O's", Jael loves the "cup drawer." She is a pro at taking the cups out and unstacking them . . . we are working on the reverse!
Getting starter plants ready. . .
Helping one another and working together . . . yet another reason I love homeschooling.
Never too young to learn, but sometimes too tired! Yes, we do sit and work at the table, as well!
These preschoolers entertain themselves wonderfully with picnics, playing house, and dress-up time.
Affectionately referred to as "Special Ed and Special Fred" they keep us in good humor with their interpretation of historical events.
Four-square in the cul-de-sac makes for a good recess.
Room time allows quiet, creative, inventive play. And rest for Mom!
Homeschool has also allowed each child to pursue individual interests.
Hmm. . .a good case for "wierd homeschoolers." Of course, there are wierd children (and wierd parents) everywhere. We have a house full of them!
Reading time. . .pairing off helps older children with the reading fluency and younger ones enjoy the story time.
I don't want to romantize homeschooling. We have our tough days and rough moments. Just today I spilled the coffee all over myself and the books. It's not easy and it's very sanctifying. But always well worth it!

1 comment:

thebays said...

Hi Amy! Great insight! I love what you said about enjoying your kids. That idea is sadly, something strange to our society. I have to admit it was a new concept to me as well. Since, I have learned that it's okay to "like" your kids I'm enjoying my boys more and more each day!