Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pruning...

With the beautiful weather today it was time to venture back outside and compete the task of pruning that had been placed aside due to the rains and the holidays.  I love pruning.  It's a bit odd, I know.  I actually look forward to it!  I love all the spiritual analogies it provides and is such a great teaching tool with kids.  Today I'm not sure what was pruned more - the trees or my heart.  As I found myself enjoying the pleasure of pruning, I wondered at the pleasure my Father must have as He masterfully prunes and shapes me for His glory.  Usually, I focus more on the one being pruned than on the Pruner Himself.  It is the pruner who has the ultimate vision for the tree.  It is the pruner's wishes that decide which twig or branch should be shaped and cut.  I found my heart praying with each twig and branch cut, "Lord, prune my pride.  Lord, prune my selfishness.  Lord, prune my self-righteous attempts to thrawt you.  Lord, prune my desire for approval. . .and on and on."  Over 100 tree branches pruned and God faithfully revealed as many areas of pruning in my heart.  What a merciful Savior, what a loving Pruner!

No comments: