Thursday, November 17, 2011

Progress...

I posted the quote from Jonathan Edward's regarding time in the Chew On This column because I always think I'll have "time" to blog. . . it's probably safer that I don't!  While we all have just 24 hours in a day, it seems mine get filled with more and more of the "immediate."  Diapers that must be changed, children who desire meals, formal education, clean home and clothes (I admit, I desire this one more than my kids!), people to disciple, family to enjoy, hospitality to be displayed, LIFE!

And in all these daily, often mundane, life activities - God is there.  Not passively watching as an amused spectator.  No, divinely at work, orchestrating all things for my good and future glorification.  Gloriously at work in the lives of my husband, children, and self.  Painfully at work, too. 

There is not enough room or time to write all the details of our kitchen remodel.  A major project that started with an explosive boom that slowly fizzled out.  I began to doubt whether it would ever be completed.  Finally, we have some progress.  After eight months of waiting for right orders, non-damaged items, delays, errors, etc., we saw a glimpse of hope this week as the kitchen began it's final stages of completion.  We are now waiting for Kraftmaid to come out and redo all the glazing in the kitchen.  After that step, the backsplash and flooring can go in and we can be done!
Decorative pillars help hide spacing issues.

Panels added throughout the kitchen help mask the glazing problems.  A baseboard will be added after the flooring is completed.

Regular filler strips hide ugly spacers, without drawing attention to defects

more end panels


  Despite all the delays and problems, I love my new kitchen.  I am so happy to not be working in a teeny little cramped space.  The kitchen has become that daily place of gathering and talking that I hoped it would be.  Having a full view of both the front and back yards is wonderful.  The sunsets I enjoy!  By waiting, God graciously provided us with upgrades we wouldn't have afforded, reimbursements for cabinets, money to be put toward flooring, and lots of extra cabinets/materials with which to make our laundry room and enhance the built-ins and fireplace mantel.  However, I'm still happy and hopeful it's almost done!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Oooh, I dream of a cute & crafty totally organized, partially magnetic Command Center for the fam complete with dry erase board on the picture titled "more end panels" :-) With just the two of us a Command Center is kind of dumb, but for a busy and full family it would be so fun! Beautiful kitchen, Micus!