Saturday, February 23, 2013

Joshua

I awoke around 3am in the morning of February 22, 1999. Since my due date was February 17th, I was thankful to feel some cramping. However, the pain wasn't anything compared to what I had experienced with Sarah's pitocin induced delivery and I was hestitant to wake anyone. Not having family close, we knew our sweet neighbors would come at our call, but I wanted to "be sure." Paul was a little more anxious to get to the hospital, so we woke up the neighbors and drove off to the hospital (less than a mile away at that time) around 4am.

The night nurse was wonderful. I remember so much about her - except her name. She made me feel so at ease and comfortable. I was worried I'd be sent home since my contractions weren't hard, but she didn't make me feel like an idiot or belittle my lack of experience. Around 4:15 she checked me and started to do something I noticed about nurses and my deliveries. She stayed super calm and casual and didn't seem rushed or hurried, but began to go into a mega mode of getting things prepped and ready in a very quick manner. Joshua David became the first Micu baby to not wait for a doctor that early Monday morning in 1999.  I just hope the doctor did buy that nurse at least a pizza:).

Our first son. What a moment I'll remember. Paul glowed. A perfect addition to our family and a little brother for Sarah Bear. By American standards, we were a happy little family. The perfect family. To quote Voddie Baucham "A boy for me and a girl for you, praise the Lord we're finally through!" Thankfully, that wasn't our attitude. We rejoiced that God allowed us to have a son, knowing that He makes no mistakes in bringing each child into the family He ordains. And, those He loves lack for nothing - if He chose to only bless us with girls (or boys) we would not be lacking for He gives His best to His children.

But, back to my son. Joshua David. It seemed he was just a little guy - and he was a little guy. Although he weighed in a few ounces bigger than his big sis (he was 16 lbs 13oz) he was a small little guy and quick! He still holds the family record as the youngest runner and climber. At ten months he got a reputation for being the only child EVER to climb over the wall in the nursery at Northwest Church. He can still scale a tree super quick today. We called him our coconut boy - he could climb up the palm trees and knock them down.

Josh loved candy. The Christmas before he turned two we found two legs sticking out from under Aunt Mini's Christmas tree - there was Josh, eating her girls' ginger bread houses. He especially loved the taste of mint. Josh continues to love candy. His friends and family know that and I was amazed at the sacks of gummy worms, peach rings, mints, candy bars, etc., that he received for his birthday.

When he was little, other children seemed to cry at times when he was around - but we could never seem to catch him doing anything. He just had a look in his eye that was suspicious. He still carries that twinkle. He has an impish little grin and look that just seems to say "trouble." He was a contrarian before he could talk! Even now we laugh and joke that when we call him a contrarian he says "no I'm not!" As far as Winnie the Pooh characters, Josh was our Eeyore. His days were always "a little bit good and little bit bad." Josh is a very logical thinker and considers things deeply. He desires to understand deep theological truths and likes to be accurate. When he was little I was talking to him and Sarah about God being called Father by those who were His children. Sarah (typical first born compliant pleaser) said something about how she wanted God to be her Father. I asked Josh if he wanted God to be his Father too. Since he was only two I expected a nod or something. Instead, he said very clearly "Satan."  After my initial surprise, I smiled at him and told him he was quite right. Satan was his daddy (Ephesians - all are born children of wrath) and I was praying for him. I continue to pray for my son today, pleased by what I see God doing in his heart and life. Grace.

I wish I had his newborn pictures on our email, but I'll have to post some later. For now, these (from 2005 when Josh was 6 years old) will have to do. Enjoy as we have so enjoyed our son these past 14 years. May God use him greatly to further His kingdom and reflect His glory.

Brother! I'm pretty sure Josh (who would never dress up himself) had something to do with Jon's attire!

Josh loves babies. He still does. Here he is with our little Hannah Banana.

Easter 2005, with Gray Gray and Papa.

Such a handsome ring bearer! Miss Robin's wedding!

T-ball. Every boys dream.

Happy Birthday, Joshua! We love you!

No comments: