Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Daisy

Farmer Paul with his new girl!


Bekah and Miri give a squeeze!
  This photo was taken at the fair. . .but is utterly coming true. Some husbands bring their wives flowers. . .I guess in a way mine did, too. He brought me a cow named Daisy! We've never been your conventional family so I'm not sure why I even get surprised anymore. But I was.

So, we have a new farm animal who is cute as can be. Since neither of us know much about Holsteins, I'm thankful for u-tube. She's still young, so it will still be a while before we get some fresh milk. And research purports that babies learn the most in their early years. . .I bet they didn't research city folk who move to a farm! :) My learning curve remains way up.

As far as Daisy goes, we're more of a Tulip family so we're considering more traditional cow names. Elsie, Bessie, Pattie, and Angus are a few thrown out. (Can you guess the male choices?)

Picture pending. . .Sarah now has a phone (finally! making her no longer the last/oldest child in church youth group to have a phone. . sorry other parents who loved saying "well, Sarah Micu doesn't have a phone yet. . .!") and is the family photographer/instagramer.

Lovin on Bess
While she needs another year or so before we can milk her, she is a cute addition to the farm. While known more for their milk production, perhaps we can have other fresh milk products eventually. Raw milk is the one milk that Hannah can tolerate:).

Bess! Our new Holstein. . .and hopeful milk source!
 Papa is going to have to give us lessons when he's out on calfing, milking, and cows, in general. Growing up on a dairy farm, I'm sure it will all "come back" to him.:) In fact, my maiden name means "dairy farmer" so I guess we're just carrying out the Senn tradition. So this little girl is not for eats, my Filippino friends and family! Maybe she'll have a son and we can also have some nice steaks. . . not too soon to start planning for wedding feasts in the next 5-10 years!

No comments: