Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Mother's Song

This fall I am enjoying A 30-Day Walk With God in the Psalms by Nancy Leigh DeMoss with a group of women at church. We are actually taking the walk for about 10 weeks. . . Anyway, one of the psalms this week is Psalm 73, one of my personal favorites. Studying it again reminded me of something I wrote back in 2005. Since some of you have commented that you enjoy my musings, here you go. . .

A Mother's Song
Based loosely on Psalm 73
June 12, 2005

Surely God is good to those mothers' who remain content in their hearts and homes.

But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied those mothers who worked for that second income and prospered financially. They did not seem to have any struggles. Their bodies were fit from exercise and they were neatly groomed with stylish hair. Their clothes were not wrinkled or spotted but looked like they stepped from the pages of a Macy's advertisement. Their nails were long and manicured. They had cell phones and Starbucks in hand. They rushed their children off to school or day care and then hurried off to their jobs where they were needed, useful, and productive. They engaged in enlightening conversations and strategized on world issues. They picked up their children and rushed them off to ballet, soccer, piano, voice, and other lessons galore. The children appeared happy, with everything they could want. They had DVD's in their vans, Xboxes and TVs in their own separate bedrooms. They had their own cell phones, designer clothes and fancy electronics. They seemed carefree, their homes increased in wealth.

Surely in vain I have stayed home! Surely in vain I had forsaken the path to wealth and accolades. All day I am plagued by these children, husband and home! I have been punished every morning as I watch the others pursue their ideals. I didn't want to get out of bed to another day of laundry, cooking, errands, housework, homework, bills, problems, and isolation. I am haunted by thoughts of depression and feelings of exhaustion. Joy eluded me. When I tried to understand all this, it was too much. Why was I home? Did I need a break? Time for myself? Medications? Until I opened the Word of the Lord, then I understood my purpose and God's plan for my family.

Surely You have granted me great wisdom and discernment to train up my children. You have blessed me with the gift of time to spend enjoying them. You allow me to discern matters of their hearts before they become hardened to the things of God. You strengthen me to be the helpmeet You have set forth in Your Word, placing my husband before myself and my own desires and ambitions. Surely You have allowed me to make this home a happy place of quiet rest from a world which seeks to satisfy themselves with temporal things.

You are always with me. You guide me with Your counsel. Someday You will take me to Heaven! What else should I desire on this earth or above but fellowship with You each moment, Lord? This body and mind will fail, but You are my strength and portion forever. Someday all will stand before You and give an account for their lives and those entrusted to them. You will destroy the unfaithful. But as for me, it is good to be near You, God. Draw me to Yourself daily. Wake me early to take refuge in You and to fill my heart and mind with Your Word. I will tell of your great deeds in my life, O Lord. I will proclaim how You are good to the struggling.

1 comment:

The Senntinel said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Amy. Good stuff! I didn't know you could still write so well after having 7 kids... JK
Linny