Thursday, September 11, 2008

Our first experience with the "year of the lasts". . .

For those of you young enough to remember or having gone through this experience with your own 6th grader already, you can smile as you faintly recall "the year of the lasts". . . What a sweet season of life this has been with all our little ones grade school and below. I feel like the camera has caught us in mid-step, one foot still in those years with the other foot beginning to reach forward as time marches on. Yes, Sarah is in sixth grade. It still seems impossible. Some may wonder if this really matters since we are homeschooling, but the resounding answer is yes! Each day (it seems) brings a reminder that this year holds the unique and wistful landmark of the "last time". Whether it is "my last summer in Sunday school, or my last VBS, my last year in AWANA, or my last year with a Director" Sarah is reminding us that a new season is upon us. A season of anticipation and excitement, but also a time of enjoyment for these present days.

I was tempted to entitle this blog "Our first experience with the "year of the lasts and our last year of the firsts". . . but besides being really long it might also be untrue. However, as you see from the photo we are completing delighting in Jael's year of "Firsts" and in Sarah's year of "Lasts". I think from child four or five on I've wondered if this might be the end of the baby season of our lives. . .thankfully it has not! (No that's not an announcement. . .) Enough ramblings for now, I'm off to enjoy the last September 11th with my 6th grader and the first September 11th with my baby (and all those in between)!!

No comments: