Thursday, June 13, 2013

Disabled

Disabled. That's what my phone says. When someone says "disabled" that's not the image that comes to mind. Interestingly though, I feel disabled. Texts and calls keep appearing on the screen - all out of my reach. I'm unable to communicate my stupidity at self-disabling my phone. Amazing. I'm not quite sure how I managed it.

I like to changed passcode locks when the kids start knowing them/figuring them out. My phone went missing this morning and I realized it was time for a change. It has been a change! I've managed to disable it all day now. It's a good reminder that a phone is for convienence - mine. It's not to run our lives, or ruin them.

I often have conversations with people about how my kids seem to always want to check my phone, their ipad, instagram, etc., and then I realize - that's not just reality, but normalcy. Almost everywhere I look, younger generation or older, folks all have their noses in their smart phones. People come to visit and they have to check their phones constantly. I'll be setting up lunch, only for the guest to "have to text or answer this call." This is more an observation than a judgment. But perhaps a caution, as well. We used to be able to go out, talk, then return home and check our messages. Yes, inconvienent at times when I wanted my hubby to pick up milk on the way home! However, there are times I look around our living room when family and friends are here and everyone is on their own device! I think I'll have a phone drop-off bucket for guests to deposit their cells upon arrival and can pick up on their way out. .. . hmmm.

Just my musings for today as I'm disabled anyway.

No comments: