Monday, May 6, 2013

Forty-Four, 44

Forty-four. It's a number that looks nice. I don't think I appreciated the repeating digits at ages 11, 22, or 33. To anyone under the age of 38, it sounds so old. To those 38 and up. . .it sounds like the prime of life. :)

Like most children, once I had my birthday I began being "almost" the next age. During the teens it seemed I'd never get to those magical adult twenty years. I enjoyed my twenties. I loved the thirties. But the forties? They are terrific. Despite the fact that some of my gifts included an exercise ball, hand weights, and running socks - the need to look 20 is no longer a desire. Probably because it is so far from possible! I definitely enjoy fitness, but gone are the expectations of racing my kids and winning! I watched enough home videos to glean wisdom from those who try to do things they shouldn't but think they still can.

As I sat waiting for the traditional "breakfast in bed", I enjoyed listening to the commotion of a family hunting for things that Mom usually takes care of for the rest. It's also become a traditional for some part of the breakfast to fly off the tray as it is carried to the bedside. This year was no less exciting as the flowers took a dive. Somehow, it's never the fault of the person caring the tray - fascinating.

How many women have a choir singing "Happy Birthday" on their special day? Nine cherub voices and the lovely tenor of my hubby. 4-6 little hands trying to eat something off Mom's tray while the other 12-14 swat away little hands.

Homemade cards are always the best!

 Tangible gifts come in different packages. . .Paul worked hard to get more garden spots in for me!

Sarah sent out a birthday instagram that choked me up. . .

The kids made sure I enjoyed a yummy birthday lunch with them!

No comments: