Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sweet 16!

Sweet 16. It's hard to believe that precious little bundle that we so proudly brought home from the hospital is now sixteen. Knowing that today would be a little crazy to celebrate with friends (leaving for England tomorrow), we actually hosted a BBQ last week.



Paul put together a "photo scavenger hunt" of sorts which resulted in lots of fun pictures for Sarah to have to remember the special day. The pictures all have themes. . .



Yep, the kid in the air is Bekah!



Sarah and Annalise, friends from birth!
Sarah. It was an exciting first pregnancy and first grandchild on my side. These were the days before cell phones, so Paul took out a "baby pager" - remember those?!? I was due on May 22. The day came and went. So, the next morning (Friday, May 23) I headed off to the gym. Not at 4:30am in those days! I'm not sure what time exactly I got there, but I will never forget the feeling of something running down my legs while I was on the transport machine! In the movies, when the "water breaks" it's like a big gush. I was very nervous that I was just losing bladder control... but I got to call the baby pager :) which made Paul's day. After going to the doctor it was confirmed that my water had broken but was just trickling due to the baby's head.

We tried to stall a bit, went home and got ready to head to the hospital. Nervous, jittery new parents. Unfortunately, I knew I wasn't having much happening in the way of contractions. I really wanted to have a natural delivery, but that unfortunately went out the window when the doctor wanted to start pitocin around 7pm. By 11:30pm I was hurting and not sure if I could make it without some kind of drugs! The nurse who checked me added to the discouragement with the prophecy that the baby probably wouldn't arrive until morning. As the pain grew more intense, I decided it was time to break away from the "desired plan" and figure out Plan B. Paul called the nurse back in to tell her I wanted to try the epidural. She checked once more and was amazed that I had gone to an 8 in the last half hour! I remember being very thankful. I also remember being hungry and not getting food. Paul had been eating Taco Bell and get breathing in my face to "push" and was counting.  I didn't want to be rude, so I kept asking him to brush his teeth. He kept ignoring me since he was intent on helping me breathe:). Finally, I couldn't take it. He says my eyes rolled back in my head as I grunted out "goooo bruuushh yooouuur teeeeth!" He said that at that moment all the nurses starting popping breath mints! LOL. It wasn't the easiest delivery, but I was thankful not to push long. Unfortunately all the pit make me throw up while pushing:( but it was worth it. Paul was all set up to cut the cord, but after Sarah arrived the doctor told him there needed to be change of plans. The room became very intense and it seemed forever before that little gray girl let out a bellow. The there was a collective sigh as her color became more pink and the cord was removed from her neck. 6 lbs. 10 ounces. Beautiful dark hair and red lips. She was perfect. I had seen enough newborns to keep my expectations on appearance in check - but she really was pretty. From Day 1, she was alert and observant. She seemed to study everything and be interested in taking it all in.

Now, in a blink, she's a woman. Sometimes at church Paul and I look around the upper room for her and can't find her - she blends in with the young adults. I am so thankful that God gave me a daughter, especially not knowing that 8 more would follow! Sarah is my right arm and I tell her frequently that I couldn't do it without her. She is so much more mature, gracious, and smart than I ever was at 16! I am amazed by her.

Happy Birthday, Princess!

No comments: