Thursday, April 4, 2013

Baby turns 1

Baby Miriam Eve turned one today. . . a benchmark of sorts in her life. She survived the first year as the youngest of nine, no small feat. I watch first time moms with their new babies and think fondly back to those years with Sarah. Every facial movement captured on camera, all the grandparents peering over her, crowded into doctor's offices proud to see her growth, changing her outfits if the weather changed, taking EVERYTHING on trips and so on. We laugh at it now, but there is something about that first child that makes them a bit different. Perhaps it's some of what was listed above:).

Miriam. She waits for someone to look at her, then bursts into smiles. When we travel we sometimes remember the diaper bag. If not, we find something that works. And her life experiences, by God's providence and grace, will mold her into the woman He desires her to be. She might be number nine, but she is no less loved, cherished, or enjoyed than a first child. She may be less doted over, every move less celebrated, fewer photos - but just as wanted.

Sweet Miri was the only Micu to arrive early naturally. She arrived at 5:55am on April 4, 2012. I went to bed Tuesday night wondering if I'd have an Easter baby (my due day) or have to wait until tax day. Paul said he woke up in the night to my moaning. I was thankful to sleep through most of it. Again, not liking hospitals, we compromised on when to head to St. Agnes for my ninth delivery (I think I should have a ward named for me). The nurses never seem to be real concerned as I'm talking to them, until they check me. Thankfully, I was a 10 so I knew this girl wouldn't be long. While it felt like forever, Paul assured me that a short 25 minutes later our girl entered the world with a head of dark hair. I was reminded that natural labor is not only doable but preferable. I delivered and immediately showered and dressed. They said I could go home that afternoon and I should have taken them up on it. For some reason I think I'll get sleep at the hospital - lie. Those nurses seem intent on waking up mother and baby at opposite times all day and night. IF there's a next time. . . I'm leaving (God willing)!

Well, a year has gone by and we have fallen in love with this cheeky little girl full of smiles and giggles. She loves to climb up but still has trouble getting herself down from heights. She loves animals, with the exceptions of monkeys whose pictures send her into tears. With her toddles and single words she captures our hearts and attention. Each waiting to be the first to be called something endearing this little sweetie (she only says mama and dada. . .so the siblings are waiting for nicknames!).


Our Easter Angel, our only baby to experience two Easters before turning one!
Happy Birthday, Miriam Eve! We look forward to celebrating with her another day. Sadly, she woke up with a low-grade fever and runny nose today. She didn't seem too interested in a birthday. :(

No comments: