Saturday, April 27, 2013

Ideals

Well, the thought that I'd blog every morning while the kids were journalings was a bit idealistic! I think about it quite often, but find myself in a middle of a dozen things, usually simultaneously. Oh well. The lack of blogging doesn't mean there's nothing going on around here - probably the opposite!

Today makes the third day of entertaining this week. It's always a struggle for me to grow in hospitality. I do enjoy having people over and it's fun to share food, memories, and building one another up. The struggle arises from the "task" part of me that realizes the focus of hospitality keeps me from projects that desperately shout for attention. Like the garage. Much less keeping up with the piles of laundry, cooking, planning, school and other daily duties. Growing up I had a wonderful model of hospitality provided by my mom. Maturing as a young wife and mother far from home, I had older women who modeled hospitality and encouraged me in that command. "Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality." (Romans 12:13) It's not an option, but it's not to be done begrudgingly, either. It's a joy and delight to care for the needs of our brothers and sisters in Christ.

On a side note, I've enjoyed the books by Carolyn McCulley. While they are not on hospitality there are some neat insights about the Christian home as the hub of evangelism and activity. Believe it or not, the first century church couldn't go and meet at Starbucks! Likewise, travelers didn't check into the local hotel. Christian hospitality was essential. While meeting other places is fine, we have definitely lost an important element if our hospitality is only outside of our home. Younger men and women need to watch us in our homes and with our families. Young adult women are well aware of the challenges of nine children and often have to enjoy coffee over folding laundry rather than sipping a mocha uninterrupted at Kuppa Joy.:)

However, trusting God to provide the time and strength to accomplish what needs to occur in His timing and learning to align my thoughts/ways with His continue to sanctify me. But, I haven't come across the verse yet that commands me how to keep my house/garage/yard! While it would be unwise and poor stewardship to neglect any of God's gifts, people are the most precious! Ministry is not limited to the church campus. Nor does it only occur between the hours of 8-5. How unimaginable Heaven is - beautiful fellowship and sweet work to His glory without the mars of sin...

No comments: