Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Turn off the TV with us!

This week is National Turn Off the Television week. Why would a family who doesn't own a TV care? Well, we are taking the challenge nonetheless. It would be too easy to casually shrug off the challenge because we don't have a television. When I examine our technology use, I realize that taking a break from the DVDs, Wii, other video games, social media, etc. is just a good idea and reminder that we can have fun family times in lots of other ways.

So, while we are not outlawing all forms of technology - we are being more mindful of our use. Basically, no watching stuff off the computer or putting in a DVD (car included). No extra video game playing or Wii - it's board games and outdoor games this week. While I like to think we do pretty well in all the above areas, there is always room for improvement. How often do I just want to "veg" without thinking after the kids are down? See what's happening on instagram or look at pinterest when my stack of books and memory verses are waiting. . .

The kids always think these kind of challenges are for them - little do they know the sting it brings to adults as well! Nothing can babysit better than media. Unfortunately, what our children do and who they spend time with ultimately disciples them.

I want that to be me.

No comments: